U.S. President Donald Trump has indicated that he may not be able to attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., due to ongoing tensions with Iran.
He made these remarks on Thursday while speaking with reporters at the White House. The news was reported by the news agency AFP. According to the report, 48-year-old Donald Trump Jr. is set to marry Bettina Anderson in the Bahamas later this week. This will be his second marriage.
Responding to questions from reporters, Trump said, “He wants me to go. It is a small, private affair. I will try to make it.” However, he added, “I told him that the timing isn’t great for me, because I have the Iran issue and many other matters before me.”
The United States is currently engaged in efforts to reach a resolution with Iran. The report also notes that, concurrently, public discontent with the Trump administration is mounting due to the looming threat of war and the rising cost of living. Trump further remarked that if he were to attend the wedding while a conflict is underway, the media would criticize him; conversely, he would face criticism if he chose not to attend.
He stated, “This is one of those situations where I just can’t win. If I go, I’ll be criticized. If I don’t go, I’ll be criticized—thanks, of course, to the ‘fake news’ media.” Expressing his best wishes, he added, “I hope they have a wonderful married life.”
Donald Trump Jr. currently serves as an Executive Vice President at the Trump Organization. He is also known as one of the most vocal supporters of his father’s political agenda. Last year, Trump Jr. hinted that he might even run for the presidency himself in the future.