U.S. President Donald Trump has stated that an understanding regarding a deal with Iran is “nearly finalized.” He added that the details of the agreement would be announced very soon.
Speaking on Saturday, Trump said that the agreement would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. He did not provide any further details on this matter.
Prior to Trump’s statement, Ismail Baghai—the spokesperson for Iran’s Foreign Ministry—told Iranian state television that the positions of the United States and Iran had moved significantly closer over the past week. However, he cautioned that this did not imply that a consensus had been reached on key issues. At the time, he also accused the United States of issuing “contradictory statements.”
On social media, Trump stated that he had held “very good discussions” with leaders from several nations—including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar—regarding a “memorandum of understanding on peace.”
Trump further added, “Most of the discussions regarding an agreement between the United States, Iran, and other relevant nations have been completed; only final approval and formalization remain.”
He noted that discussions regarding the final aspects and specific details of the agreement are currently underway and will be announced very shortly.
The U.S. President also mentioned that he had spoken by phone yesterday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing the conversation as having gone “very well.”
While offering no further details regarding the potential agreement, Trump emphasized that any deal would “absolutely” prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
Subsequently, Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif stated, “I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to establish peace.” Shehbaz also noted that the phone conversation between Trump and Netanyahu had been “very fruitful and constructive.”
Pakistan has been assisting in the peace negotiations between the United States and Iran, serving as a mediator in the process.
In a post on the social media platform X, Shehbaz wrote, “We hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”
On February 28, the United States and Israel jointly launched a large-scale attack on Iran. In response, Iran launched attacks on various installations—including U.S. bases—in the Persian Gulf nations, as well as on Israel. As a result of these retaliatory strikes, conflict spread across the entire Middle East.

A ceasefire between Iran and the United States went into effect in early April and remains in force to this day. Since the ceasefire, discussions regarding a permanent peace treaty have been underway between Washington and Tehran.
Speaking on state television yesterday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ismail Baghai referred to a “Memorandum of Understanding.” He stated that Iran’s objective is to reach an agreement—one structured around a framework comprising 14 points.
Baghai added that they are currently in the process of finalizing this memorandum of understanding. Ultimately, it may be possible to reach a final agreement.