August 23, 2026
Pezeshkian

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has acknowledged that the country’s people are currently facing “many problems” as the United States moves to impose successive rounds of sanctions to further pressure Tehran’s economy.
In a speech broadcast on state television on Sunday (August 23), Pezeshkian stated that US President Donald Trump has pushed Iran into a “full-scale economic, military, and security war.”
He said, “I understand that there are currently many problems in our society. We are trying to mitigate these issues as much as possible.”

Pezeshkian added that the government is making every effort to overcome challenges such as inflation, the cost of living, and unemployment, ensuring that the Iranian people can live with dignity and self-respect.
In recent years, Iran has witnessed several major protests centered on the economic crisis. A decline in purchasing power—driven by inflation and currency exchange rate fluctuations—has been a key factor behind these demonstrations. A movement that began in late December of last year to protest the rising cost of living later escalated into widespread protests against the ruling establishment in Tehran.
Iranian authorities stated at the time that over 3,000 people had been killed during the unrest, blaming the United States and Israel for inciting the violence. However, foreign-based NGOs claim that thousands were killed in the ensuing crackdown by Iranian authorities.
Read more:
Bangladeshi youth shot dead in New York

Meanwhile, a report by The Guardian indicates that just a day after Pezeshkian’s remarks, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent may announce even harsher economic measures against Iran.
He has described the potential new sanctions as the “toughest sanctions in history” against Iran.
Separately, Mohsen Rezaei, a hardline leader within Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, told state television that any Gulf nation joining the US “economic war” would be considered an enemy.
He warned that if neighboring countries cooperate with US sanctions, attacks could be launched against oil transport routes in the Gulf that serve as alternatives to the Strait of Hormuz. He also threatened to strike at the ‘interests’ of these countries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *